Longstock Park Water Garden - Fagus Website

Go to content

Main menu:

Longstock Park Water Garden

A water garden existed on this site since the 1920s, but the present design was developed after the estate was purchased by John Spedan Lewis in 1946.

Intended as a place of retreat for partnership members, it remains an oasis of tranquillity.

Fed by the trout-filled crystal waters of the Test, a lake and series of ponds and dells are linked by simple footbridges.
The banks are flanked by swathes of Hosta, Rodgersia, Astilbe, Osmunda regalis, Hemerocallis and Ligularia underplanted with Carex elata “Aurea”.

Two plants of special interest were Primula florindae “Ruby” and Taxodium distichum, with its aerial roots (pneumatophores.)

Chris Lewis
© Copyright 2010 Fagus - All Rights Reserved
Back to content | Back to main menu